Saturday, November 22, 2008

Back For More

Wow, I haven't been online in awhile. This has been the all time crazy few months, and I had to make the decision to let blogging fall by the wayside for the time being. For those of you who had kept up with me before, here's a small update on what transpired from late July until now (a span of pretty much four months).

I started off in the doctoral program at NMSU this current fall semester, that began in August. It was a little trying at first trying to get into the rhythm of it, but I'm in a good place now. I have declared my Ph.D. program, which is Literacy, Language, & Culture, which is a specialization under Curriculum & Instruction. I found out this past week that I will be teaching my first class at NMSU this upcoming spring, a reading content area literacy course that I'm very excited about instructing in.

I, of course, still teach 5th grade as well. My job isn't hard at this point, it's my fourth year and I'm in a very good rhythm there. I've been trying a lot of new methods out this year that definitely label me as a "liberal" teacher, at least as far as methods and praxis goes. I've done away with textbooks altogether, I use worksheets maybe twice a month, except for in math, which is still my weakest subject area, and I've been able to specialize in one area in science (I teach chemistry, YEAH!).

So, apart from that, I moved to a new house in September, which took awhile. We're finally settled now, and it took a long time, but we're here. Now that it's all said and done, I think I'm ready to jump back into this blog. I wanted this blog to be a valuable resource, and I still do, without a doubt. So please, don't give up on me, I'm back!

0 comments: